In March of 2010, we hosted a Prayer Walk(athon) in Pittsburgh (the above image is of most of the participants). Rick (Lead Planter) designed a couple of these as significant fundraisers allowing The Bridge to have the ministry dollars needed to carry us through the year. He would later share that he sincerely, genuinely sensed $30,000 would be raised for ministry purposes. It was also a tremendous way to build interest and momentum for church planting in Pittsburgh.
The people who participated in the Pittsburgh Prayer Walk(athon) contributed in a big way. But by the time all of the fundraising was calculated, less than $7,000 had come in. This was enough to cover ministry during the summer and provide a number of opportunities to connect with the community. But it wasn’t $30,000. And we still had the biggest event of the summer to be cared for as well as making sure a facility could be rented for preview, launch, and post-launch gatherings.
But we were amazed as series of incredible points of supply came our way, some more breathtaking than others, while we ‘prayed in’ daily provision:
- Other churches provided recreation/games at no cost to The Bridge for our Family Fun Day
- Other churches supplied nearly all of the food (for over 400 people!) for Family Fun Day
- Area businesses freely gave merchandise & giftcards to give away to Family Fun Day participants
- Other churches have creatively raised funds to help cover portions of meeting-place rent
- The Bridge received free use of new sound equipment from a recently-closed church
- Another church supplied for many of The Bridge’s printing needs
- Area businesses helped provide for an Autumn Trunk-or-Treat event
- 3 Lakes Golf Course invited The Bridge to meet weekly in their facility at a very affordable rate
And do you know what all of this provision amounted to?
At latest tally, just about $30,000.
We know that the work we’re doing is much more about heart and life transformation than money; we know that financial provision is not a ‘goal’ but is a necessity. For us, it’s just one more way we have seen God’s favor and answer to prayer; it’s one more evidence of being where God is working. It makes me excited: if the Holy Spirit has been so faithful in bringing us to launch, what will he do as The Bridge continues to develop?!
—This post is the last in a series of five celebrating God’s favor as we have moved toward the launch of The Bridge this Sunday. Here are links to the earlier posts: One, Two, Three, Four.